Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Do not stop the children coming to me - A Prayer by Lithuanian girls confined to a siberian prison(1953)

Saviour, I have cast away
Your passion, love and desires.
I have condemned myself
and become
profoundly unhappy.
With all my being,
I implore you:
cast Your glance at me,
cover up my transgressions,
raise me up that with joy
I may hasten to you
to worship Your mercy
and ineffable love. Amen.

Draw near,
all holy Angels;
draw near,
all saints of heaven,
Immaculate Mother,
Saint Joseph, Saint Therese,
come to praise
the Lord of Mercy,
the God of Love.
Teach me
how to be humble, how to love,
that everywhere and always
I may live in gratitude
and with my entire life
I may proclaim
God's love and goodness.

Jesus, You have come to me.
Remain with me for ever.
Live in me. Teach me,
painful though it be.
Rest in me,
and never forsake me.
With all my being,
to You I cling,
praising and thanking You
for coming,
for Your consolation,
for all the other graces
You have brought
to me and to my home.

O Heart of Jesus,
inflamed with love,
have mercy on those
who fight for freedom,
who have died on the battlefield
or still are suffering
for my country.

Have mercy on all in whose stead
I should pray and praise You.
O God of Mercy,
I thank You for the hearts
who have done me
so much good
and who never forgets me.

I thank You also for those 
who, by their hatred
teach and warn me. Amen.

The above prayer was written by four young Lithuanian girls confined to a Siberian prison in 1953.

No comments: