Tuesday, October 5, 2010

10 Promises to my dog (Inu to watashi no 10 yakusoku)


I heard lot about Japanese movies but have not watched much, but now i think i have to watch selective Japanese movies. This movie "10 Promises to my dog"  is a wonderful movie, its like reading a poem.The story revolves around Akira and Socks, the Golden Retriever .
Akira is a 14 year old school girl living in Hokkaido,Japan.One day a puppy wanders into her court yard , the puppy looks frightened and lost.Akira is very much interested to keep the puppy as her pet, so she as her mother's consent and she approves.The 10 year journey begins with the death of Akira's mother , then her father leaving his job(as a matter of fact her father is an doctor),the her romance.Before her death Akira's mother gave 10 promises that Akira should make with Socks. I should say each and everyone who has any kind of pet must have some sort of promises like this.
Hoshi is a guitarist,who went to paris music school.They met after 10 years. As years passes Akari  become preoccupied with her job at a zoo and after reuniting with her childhood boyfriend Susumu she stops spending  much time with Socks.However Socks helped Hoshi to overcome his fingers problem ,which happened because of an road accident.This incident reminded Akari  about how much Socks helped her through her hard times and she feels very bad for not spending enough time with Socks during Sock's aging process.Socks dies at the age of 10.Its  a heart warming story.The father and daughter relationship was nicely portrayed .Her father who quit his job and started a clinic on his own explains her about the things he learnt by spending time in his own clinic and with Socks, it was touching.

Directed by Katsuhide Motoki.
Mayuko Fukuda as Akira is cute and brilliant.Etsushi Toyokawa as Akira's father is amazing and his varied expressions are flawless.Ryo Kase  as Hoshi is also good. I must say background music is just amazing,it makes the movie more poetic. The  movie is based on the novel  written by Hare kawaguchi which in turn based on "The 10 Commandments of Dog Ownership".They are
1. My life just lasts for ten to fifteen years. Any separation from you will be painful for me. Remember that before you choose to buy me.
2. Give me time to understand what you want.
3. Please trust me! That's what I'm happy with...
4. Don't be angry at me for a long time or lock me up as punishment. You have your work, your entertainment and your friends. But I only have you.
5. Talk to me sometimes. Eventhough I don't understand your words, but I can still understand your tone when you talk.
6. Be aware that however you treat me, I'll never forget.
7. Remember before you hit me that I have teeth that could easily crush the bones of your hand but I chose not to bite you.
8. Before you scold me for being uncooperative, obstinate or lazy, Ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I'm not getting the right food, or I've been out in the sunfor too long, or my heart is getting old and weak.
9. Take care of me when I am getting old...
10.Please be with me on any difficult journeys. Please never say, "I can't bear to watch it" or "Let it happen in my absence." Everything is easier for me if you are here. Remember...I Love you always.

Watch it .. 

No comments: