Friday, April 4, 2014

Watching Brian Lara


Tears rolled down from my eyes when Lara was given out caught behind against India in 2006 world cup. Everyone in my family was clapping and celebrating the wicket of Lara, i was crying. My father was furious and questioned my patriotism. I just ignored him and kept crying.

Even today I don't know how I became a fan of Brian Lara. Whenever someone pronounces this magical name I get goosebumps. I think it all started with my uncle who is / was a big fan of 70's & 80's West Indies team. I remember him saying that "this tiny batsman will become a great player - watch out! " . A prophesy ! Without me knowing I was addicted to Lara -The Magical entertainer.

I don't know which was the first innings i watched him playing whatever it was , from that inning till his last innings I was a devoted follower. Every time he came to the crease my heart beat faster than normal and I did all sort of nonsense to make him score hundred every time! once stood for three hours till he reached 80+ against Australia! . They joy in watching his batting - no words can explain that feeling.

I had discussed many technical details of batting of different players including Sachin, Dravid, Ponting and Mark Waugh ( we had so many Waugh brothers fans in Pamban!) but I never analyst Lara's batting , I love everything he did on the field. Many of my friends asked me "How Lara scored those high scores?". I replied "He think himself as a entertainer that made him to score!" .Never said a word about his technique or stamina or anything else.  I liked the way the commentators said "dancing" whenever Lara came down the pitch and hit the spinners. No one can match that!

I did not watched live telecast of his 375 against England but was very lucky to watch live telecast of his 153 against Australia and 400 against England . While watching 153 against Australia my whole family supported me as if I was batting . All of us sat before the television for the whole innings - wonderful experience.That was one of the best innings in modern times. The 400 was bit troublesome because of the duration , almost 2 whole nights I watched and prayed and never felt tired- that was LARA!

Even today whenever there is a news article about Lara my friends calls me and updates me. Nowadays this goes to Windies team also. When West Indies won the T20 worldcup  I got so many phone calls from my friends congratulating me. That was wonderful . None of my friends called me or wished me when India won 2011 World Cup. Hahaa!! That is because through Lara I indirectly supported / supports West Indies. Never missed to check his scores even during 10th and 12th class exams.

To be a fan of Lara in India was / is a big trouble. As all the cricket fans knows that its always "Lara Vs Sachin" . I never fought with anyone about who was / is best. I did had some arguments but never a full scale debate. That was how I survived in the land of Sachin. One good thing was that all my friends knew that I was/is a Lara fan so they never argued with me. I always love good spirited game  thats why I don't like so called Sachin fans yelling at others for everything said about Sachin. Thats not the way. A sportsman as a matter of fact will be subjected to scrutiny and analysis by public and one has to take it in a positive way. If you do not agree , rebuff with polite and in a civilised manner.

Im still following(twitter & facebook) Lara and will follow him throughout my life. Whenever I feel dull I watch any one his innings in youtube and I still get those goosebumps like those good old days. One of  Lara fan in my home town Pamban named his boat after Lara !  Brian Lara is my first sports hero.. and he still remains as  one.

Once Lara.. always Lara !!


No comments: