Thursday, April 3, 2014

The Experience of an Alter Boy


One of my childhood ambition was to become an alter boy. A 'prestigious' post which gave all access inside the church . Those days it was very tough to get into those big boys club because there were always more than needed boys for every mass.  I still remember my first day as a alter boy , not exactly alter boy, I was asked to stand outside the sacristy and take care of charcoal pieces for thurible. I was so happy that day and remained an alter boy for the next 8-9 years.

Almost every day I was the only alter boy served during the masses. The experience was something unusual and unique. Most of the time the priests said "you are all angels"!! I did believe that because the dress and the way the people treat us . Rev. Fr. Arockiasamy was the one whom I served for almost 3 years , he used to sing lots of songs. Over the course of time , I knew exactly how different priests will react during the course of mass and I was well prepared for it.. That was interesting! Some priests had a peculiar way of calling me - just turning towards me without saying a word ,some just say some words two times during homily and some other call us with name outright. 

Whenever new priests came we also changed our routines according to their routines, I loved these routines and the preparations before the mass. I used to get some sort of strange feelings while in alter serving. I still feel the same thing whenever I get onto the alter. Even though the job of the alter boys still remains the same but nowadays these boys do more work outside the alter, I mean  charity work ,taking catechism classes etc.  The most happiest day of my alter boy life was the day when our priest gave us the alter boy dress/cassock. Wow!! I was looking like an another priest, at least thats what my friends told me.

Nowadays alter boys's names are mentioned in media for wrong reasons. I had never seen any priests or any one in sacristy behaved wrongly towards me/us . Most of the priests were gentle and in fact very friendly telling jokes and singing devotional songs. Those days built a strong religious foundation in me. When I went to Chennai I was surprised to see alter girls, never seen girls on the alter before. Good to see those little girls! In Singapore, alter boys do lots of stuff, they have their own celebration on particular sunday mass and trip to different countries etc. Very sad that nowadays the young ones are not showing much interest in this wonderful institution . Last year when I spoke to my fellow mates in my home town they told nowadays no one is showing any interest.

Another important person who made those days memorable one was the "kovil Pillai" .I served under two of them both are very old but energetic, never spoke angrily or loudly, always patient with our mistakes. When the first one died I still remember how the whole village cried for him specially the priest who worked with him for some years. The bond created between the alter boy(me) , the alter , the priest and the God is something which will remains in me throughout my life. 

Proud to be an alter boy!