Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Singapore National Games


The first Singapore National Games (SNG) was held between 1st to 9th of September. I was privileged to participate in it. It was organized by Singapore Sports Council(SSC) ,People's Association(PA) and its grassroots organizations.The highlight of this event was the participation of Foreign workers and Singapore Permanent Residence.It was a good initiative by SSC and PA which will bring the immigrants closer to Singaporeans.

I registered as a volunteer many months before.Unfortunately i did not undergo orientation as  i was out of Singapore,but my Volunteer Manager was gracious enough to sent me all the details which i should know in email.I have gone through the simple test online.A week latter i got confirmation and deployment details.I was assigned to the 'Functional Area of Technology for the role of Venue Infrastructure Support'. The venue was Singapore Basketball Center.
Lion (Nila)- The SNG Mascot

Day 1 :Sunday My reporting time was 2:30 PM. I reached the center at 2 O'Clock and waited for my Venue Manager to call me.Myself and a SSC employee were introduced to our Technology officer and were taken to the Media room.Our job was to take care of the media devices (3 laptops,1 printer, 3 plug points).After introducing us the people and devices , we were left there to watch over those things. Along with us there were three volunteers from Media team.The room was full of trophies and memorabilia of Singapore Basketball Association. So many beautiful trophies, big basketballs with signatures of all the players and some framed basketball jerseys.I should say i was lucky to see all these things.

Volunteering is all about meeting new people and making friendship.I always speaks a lot to people who are willing to share their thoughts.In SNG too , first day my team member was Mr.Tan , swimming coach.Very lively character.We started talking about SNG and end up he asking me to go to him for swimming coaching.Another volunteer from Media team asked about my life back in India and the life here in Singapore.I started with Pamban ended with latest Kabbadi Worldcup!! Yes, the guy whom i had conversation knew Kabbadi and he traveled many places for reporting sports events.He was very happy to know that my father was a college Kabbadi player and asked me to convey his wishes to my father!!

 Day 2: Monday: I rushed to the Singapore Basketball Center after my officeworking hours for my shift which started on 5:30 PM.Some things to do:Check the media devices and watch over those things.My team member for the day was again an employee of SSC, we did not talk much.He was busy with something else,i sat there and started reading  the book "Jeevanaamsam" by Si.Su Chellappa.I had enough time to finish the whole book.I went to the playing area and watched the match for sometime.At the end of the day ,I shook hands with everyone and left to home with lots of good memories.

I had a very good experience volunteering this wonderful event, looking forward to do it again in 2014. Congratulations to SSC,PA and the awesome volunteers.

Click here to go to official SNG site




No comments: